Life sciences: A unique market
Life science companies have unique and evolving risks that require specialist insurance cover. At Markel International we have designed our lie sciences liability program for Canadian biotechnology, pharmaceutical, medical, and research and development companies. It provides comprehensive yet flexible coverage that can be customized to suit your clients’ specific needs. Whether your client is a small start-up or a large established company, we can assist.
Our underwriting staff has built up expertise in the Canadian life sciences market with over a decade of experience.
We work alongside London-based specialists and Lloyd’s underwriters in order to provide the flexibility and capacity to design specific coverage no matter how challenging the risk.
At Markel we will review your company’s business including the products and services you provide and who your customers are. We will then assess your risk to ensure you have the appropriate type and level of liability coverage.
We have earned the reputation as a reliable market with extensive expertise, excellent products and quality of service for commercial insurance brokers nation-wide. Our life sciences liability program defines this philosophy. We can offer solutions while providing the security your client requires.
- $20M capacity
- Products and completed operations
- Premises liability
- Clinical trials cover (including no-fault compensation)
- Errors and omissions
- Legal costs paid in addition to limits (unless noted)
- Worldwide coverage territory (including the US)
- Primary or excess coverage available
- Extended pollution coverage - provides cover for those sums the insured becomes legally obligated to pay as a result of bodily injury or property damage arising out of the actual alleged or threatened pollution.
- Bio-contamination coverage - provides cover for those sums the insured is legally obligated to pay as a result of Bio-contamination which results from the sudden and accidental discharge, seepage, migration, release or escape into the environment of bio-contaminants used in, or resulting from, the insured’s research and development operations
- Barcode coverage - reimburses the insured for costs caused by an error in printing or illegible printing of the barcode used to code the insured’s product.
- Product tampering extension - pays on behalf of the insured a written demand for money in the event of any extortion attempt invoking a threat of product tampering, after the facts and details relating to any such attempt are reported to the appropriate governmental authority.
- Governmentally mandated and voluntary product withdrawal - covers costs from shipping to disposals, extra staff to communications.
Target classes include:
- Biotechnology companies
- Medical device manufacturers and distributors
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Research and development companies
- Veterinarian products